Cider House Rules
You probably have apple cider vinegar tucked away in one of your cabinets, waiting to be used in a delicious salad dressing, but did you know that it is actually one of the health world’s superstars? The organic, unfiltered version has actually been the basis of many health remedies for centuries.
One of its best qualities is its abilities to balance pH levels in the body, helping you achieve an alkaline state, which is the healthiest for the body to be in. Whether you eat it, drink it or use it directly on your skin, it can be used to aid digestive issues, improve weight loss, kick irritating ailments to the curb and give you beautiful, glowing skin. Some research even shows that it can reduce symptoms of obesity and diabetes.
Curious about the host of benefits of ACV? Here are the top 10 reasons to add a splash of the sour stuff to your life.
- #1. Sleep issues. Mixing a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of hot water with lemon and honey before bed can help to promote a restful night’s sleep, even helping you to fall asleep if you’re a regular insomniac.
- #2. Joint pain. High in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, ACV can provide pain relief to joint pain, including arthritis, in the neck, back and shoulders
- #3. Bug bites. Summer is great and all, but those annoying, itchy bites can really put a damper on your enjoyment of the season. Apple cider vinegar is antiseptic, so it can soothe both bug bites and skin allergies in an instant.
- #4. Weight loss. Let’s be honest here. If you continue wolfing down burgers and milkshakes with reckless abandon, apple cider vinegar probably won’t do a whole lot for you. That being said, it can help you feel full longer. Its enzymes and soluble fibre also can help in fat metabolism. So whisk up a delicious dressing and chow down on those hearty veggies.
- #5. Burns, bad hair and blemishes. Apple cider vinegar does as much good topically as it does internally. Use it as a toner to keep acne at bay thanks to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Sprinkle a bit into your bath to soothe a painful sunburn or add it to your shampooing routine for luscious, shiny hair.
- #6. Detox. Apple cider vinegar is high in potassium, which helps to clarify the body, banishing candida, sore throats, allergies and sinus infections.
- #7. Teeth and bones. Even if you’re eating well, packing your diet with fruits and vegetables and lean protein, you may not be absorbing the nutrients. ACV is able to extract calcium from these healthy foods, helping to strengthen your bones and teeth.
- #8. Diabetes. Be cautious with this one, as it can interfere with diabetes medication when you take them, but studies have shown that apple cider vinegar can be used as a tool to lower glucose levels in the body.
- #9. High cholesterol. High in pectin levels, apple cider vinegar can also help to lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure.
- #10. Digestion. This may be one of the benefits you notice most instantaneously. Apple cider vinegar has loads of malic acid, which is can be used to treat digestive problems like acid-reflux and constipation. Got a bad case of food poisoning? This wellness warrior can help. Its antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties will ease the pain.