Don’t feel like working out? Try this.
Most of the time we love working out. It feels great to sweat, we love that endorphin rush we have afterwards and there’s just something about the energy we get from great music and moving our bodies. But occasionally, it can feel like a bit of a struggle. Particularly when the weather is less than ideal. After all, who on earth wants to drag their ass to a class when it’s practically a monsoon outside, right?
Sure, you could totally ditch your plans to exercise, and that’s absolutely ok. Because sometimes our bodies and our brains need a bit of rest, a bit of time off. But if there’s still a little part of you that feels like you want to squeeze in some movement, then we are here to help. Even if it feels more difficult than climbing Everest, we promise you can do it.
- #1. Do anything. Literally anything. We mean it. Don’t stress about the activity you choose, the amount of time you do it for or the intensity. Any physical activity is good. Power through a few sit-ups in your living room while you binge Netflix. Go for a walk through the canals. Whatever gets you moving is great.
- #2. Rope in a friend. We’ve said it once, and we’ll say it again. Accountability is great for encouraging yourself to get moving. Even if you hadn’t planned to work out with a buddy, text your favourite partner in crime and ask if they want to join you for that Saturday morning Ro’ride. Chances are, they’ll say yes, and then you’ve got to go!
- #3. Plan to reward yourself. We’d do just about anything for a delicious treat, wouldn’t you? Plan to treat yourself to something you really love – whether that’s something tasty, a massage or a mini shopping spree – once you’ve completed your workout. That’s why we love booking rides in Oost or City! We order The Sinner from The Cold Pressed Juicery before we clip in and then have an extra indulgent reward once we’ve finished those 45 minutes.
- #4. Forget your plan. Planning ahead and scheduling your workouts like any other appointments are certainly great for helping you stay on track, but occasionally you just need to throw caution to the wind and toss your exercise plans out the window. Be spontaneous with how you exercise, and you’ll enjoy it far more. Were you planning to book into a yoga class for Sunday afternoon but the weather forecast is suddenly looking amazing? Grab your mat and head to the Amsterdamse Bos for some real life sun salutations out in the wild.
- $5. Be a player. And not the kind that toys with other people’s emotions. Above all else, working out should be fun. That’s why we made the workout a party! If you just can’t face spending an hour in the gym lifting weights, do something that is actually, truly fun. Get outside and play a game with friends, whether it’s five-a-side football or a game of tag. You’ll forget the fact that you’re exercising because you’re having such a good time!
- #6. Embrace the lazy. Now if none of these things inspired you, we get it! Sometimes you really just are not in the mood. Don’t sweat it (literally!). Having this time off will only mean you’re stronger and more motivated the next time you work up a sweat.
These are our favourite ways to get ourselves off our sofas and into a little workout, but we’re always up for new ideas. So tell us! What do you do when you don’t feel like working out?