How to get over that hangover, fast
Were you at ADE, too? If you were, then you can probably commiserate with us right about now. Being hungover really f**king sucks. Nausea, vertigo, headaches, abdominal pain, irritability. You name it, we probably feel it. Sometimes, even just one or two drinks can leave us feeling like we won’t live to see another day.
When you bring together the dehydration, low blood sugar and exhaustion that are all results of having a little too much to drink, you have a true recipe for disaster. And, to make things tougher to address, all of these problems stem from separate issues.
So unfortunately, there is no magic cure. But, just because we haven’t yet discovered some perfect little pill to wipe away all our symptoms doesn’t mean there aren’t a slew of natural remedies that will help lesson some of the symptoms. Here we’ve got a list of DOs and DON’Ts, as well as some great natural remedies, to make you feel as shiny and new as you did before you took that first sip.
- Hydrate hydrate hydrate.
- Refuel with a healthy meal that balances protein and complex carbs.
- Reach for coconut water, kefir or watermelon to replenish your electrolytes.
- Feel revived after a cat nap.
- Go for a brisk walk or head to the studio for a revitalising Ro’ride.
- Take Tylenol, as it contributes to liver problems when you have alcohol in your system.
- Rehydrate with conventional, unnatural sports drinks.
- Head out for a heavy, greasy meal.
- Attempt anything that requires intense coordination or balance, as both are diminished.
- Magnesium will help relieve the pressure and pain of a headache. Take 400 milligrams before going to bed and another 400 right when you wake up to prevent headaches.
- Ginger tea will help to settle your stomach and stave off vomiting. Add a little honey to help stabilise your blood sugar levels.
- Coconut water is the perfect antidote to dehydration, as it is easier to consume than plain water and is also high in the electrolytes, including potassium, that your body needs after overindulging in alcohol.
- Eggs are an old hangover standby, and it turns out they’re actually a great choice. They are high in L-cysteine, which is an amino acid responsible for breaking down toxins and releasing them. Perfect for the morning after!
- Complex carbohydrates might not be as appealing as a huge pizza, but healthy carbs really are the way to go, as they will help regulate your depleted blood sugar levels far better.
- Milk thistle has actually been used for thousands of years for its ability to draw out toxins and support liver health, so it’s smart to consume it during a hangover. Take 150 milligrams when you’re in the throes of a hangover, and you’ll feel your indigestion and digestive distress melt away while also supporting a healthy liver function.
- Bone broth is another great option to soothe an upset stomach and restore electrolyte balance. It also contains easily absorbable minerals to get you feeling better in no time.
- Vitamin B6 has actually been shown to help with hangover symptoms in studies throughout the years. Take 1,200 milligrams before, during and after your drinking session, and you’ll help treat and prevent your hangover as you go.
- Siberian ginseng may sound like a crazy, esoteric ingredient, but it’s actually great for nausea, stomach pain, tiredness and vomiting. Just 500 milligrams of it has been shown to significantly improve these and other hangover symptoms. Do be careful though, as diabetes and depression medications do not interact well with it.