Let it glow
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful. And since we’ve sweat it out at Ro’, let it glow, let it glow, let it glow.
With the holiday season upon us, we all want to look our best. And what is one of the things people notice first about us? Our skin. With all of the extra drinking and sugar that often comes with this time of year – not to mention the fact that our lovely summer tans have abandoned us – it can be difficult to have that glowing, clear skin we crave.
If you want to be as smooth and clear as a kerstbal this festive season, we’re here to help. We’ve narrowed down the steps to a simple routine you can do after your Ro’rides (as well as on a regular basis) to get that holiday glow. It’s quick. It’s easy. And it’s effective. You’ll be giving skincare tutorials in no-time once you master this practice.
- #1. Double the cleanse. You know how Santa always makes a list and checks it twice? Well you should apply the same diligence to your cleansing routine. Simply swiping a cleansing cloth over your face at the end of a long day or after a sweaty Ro’ride won’t give you the skin you’re dreaming of. Instead, you have to cleanse twice. First, begin by cleansing with a nourishing oil-based cleanser on dry skin, rinsing it away with lukewarm water. After this first step you can take on cleanse number 2 with a hydrating formula. In order to keep things extra fresh on the skin front, use an exfoliating cleanser just a few times a week; this will keep your pores clear and help to slough off dead skin.
- #2. There’s strength in numbers. At least when it comes to toner. Though it may seem crazy to double cleanse, we’re going to add even more steps to your routine. Applying 7 (yes, you read that right!) layers of toner to your skin will ensure it has a youthful, bouncy feel. Once the first layer sinks in, repeat…6 more times. If this feels like way too much for you, using a hydrating sheet mask twice a week will keep your skin plumped up.
- #3. Essence is essential. If you’re looking for extra-hydrated skin then we suggest you pick up a squalane-packed hydrating essence. The squalane will strengthen your skin’s barrier function. We like The Ordinary’s 100% plant-derived squalane.
- #4. Moisture! Moisture! Moisture! If you want to be as dewy as the first gently melting frost of the year, then you need major moisture. As the air is much dryer this time of year, it’s important to go for a really heavy duty moisturiser. Spritz on a face mist for extra credit.
- #5. SPF DUH. Since you’ve put so much effort into having beautiful, glowy skin, it would be a shame to forget to protect it. It’s easier to prevent skin damage and wrinkles now than it is to reverse them later. Whether it’s snowing or sunny, make sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen every single day. Ever tried Supergoop?
- #6. Get ap-peeling. While it may sound counterintuitive to strip off layers of the plump, dewy skin you’ve been building, using a gentle chemical exfoliant a few times a week can help improve cell turnover and leave you with younger-looking skin. One of the best ones we’ve ever tried is the Natura Bissé Glyco Extreme Peel.
- #7. Just face it. Want to indulge a little bit more? Go for a peeling and nourishing facial like The Cure at The City Street Spa. If you asked Santa to help you look a decade younger this Christmas, a nice hour-long facial will save him the trouble.